Tuesday

Vacationing with Fredley in Langley

Airin (Erin) here, back in Bellingham for a new quarter of school.
My vacation had a pseudo-start with "The Weekend of the Big Machine" (see Construction or Destruction? and More excavation pics -- just for fun!), after which I returned home for an EdPsych test and the finishing touches on my last paper. With school out of the way for a couple weeks I headed back to Langley (along with Brad, who had come home with me to go skiing and take care of some business) for more digging. We set up our little campsite, and I got to work with the shovel. I have to admit I mostly worked 4 or 5 hour days--I was on vacation after all.
I think one of the most rewarding tasks I was given those first days was the drainage ditch across the driveway. Or course it's all filled in and covered with gravel now, so nobody really knows it's there. I didn't even take any pictures of it!
A few days later, The Little Machine came in and Chris showed up for the weekend. He and Brad started laying out the utilties while I cleaned up the ditches for them.
Ed, Chris, Brad, and Lance ponder the utilities

Chris' Tools, Conduit, and the Little Machine (parked in the "carport") before Brad started digging the footings

And, of course, there were tractor lessons...

Brad gives Fran the rundown on the machine

And cheers her on
Fran gives Brad a lift at the end of a long days work

You can't tell in any of these pictures, but it rained much of the time. It still felt good to be outside doing something after so many months of sitting in class and doing homework at my computer. Hot showers and food at Fran and Ed's were much appreciated at the end of each day. We tried to have little fires at our cute little campsite, but the wood was too wet. We had fun anyway, and stayed dry and cozy in our tents. At the end of the weekend Brad, Chris, and I returned to Bellingham. Brad headed back to Langley on Monday, and Chris went back to work. I spent a couple days relaxing and working in the garden. I'll save the third leg of my vacation in Langley for a later post. I've got to do some chores and head off to my first day of classes.

No comments: