Saturday

Rain!

We had thought it would be dry today until yesterday's late-in-the-day revised weather forecast. We had plans for finishing the roof, getting the electrical conduit in the main living done, working in the garden, painting, cleaning wood, and being productive in a million ways (never mind how unrealistic the list) -- all leading toward a finished project. When none of that was possible discontentment popped up. A most unwelcome visitor.

Some days it feels like we're waiting for the future. I think perhaps this is the big trap in building a new home. Despite all proclamations of living day-to-day, life does get put on hold. We'll have dinner guests when we have our new home; we'll have more free time once we have completed our building project; we'll take a vacation when we have time again; we'll get back to more biking, walking, talking, visiting, community work, and so forth, once we have a "normal" life again.

And, then, like today, it rains and rains and rains. All the work scheduled for today was cancelled. Ben and Brad worked for two hours before they threw in the towel. Ed barely got started with electrical before the rain won. And me, I'm just spinning my wheels. You'd think, after living in the NW for so many years, I'd have this weather thing figured out, and mostly I do. But still, from time-to-time, it controls the head.

The good thing is my mood will change, as will the weather, and the building project will progress as it always has --at its own speed -- with a rhythm and the beat of a good life, for which I am hugely grateful. I mostly wouldn't change any of it, except for the weather today.

No comments: